Hyaluronic acid probably isn’t what you think it is. After all, when you hear the word “acid” in the context of skincare, you think of products that are chemically tough on the skin, leaving you raw and red before you see any sign of their anti-aging benefits, but hyaluronic acid is different.
What is hyaluronic acid?
Hyaluronic acid is a naturally occurring substance that is found in your skin. It acts as cushioning and lubrication agent for our stretch marks, joints, nerves, hair, skin, and eyes. Hyaluronic acid is the main component that gives your skin structure and is responsible for the plump and hydrated look.
Benefits of using hyaluronic acid in your skin and an Advanced Hyaluronic Acid such as SkinsideOut
- Retains moisture: Hyaluronic acid helps in replenishing and holding cell moisture, leading to hydrated, plump skin. The hyaluronic acid within our bodies holds a thousand times of its weight in water to not only retain that moisture in our skin and joints but also prevent that moisture from evaporating into the air.
- Speed up wound healing: Hyaluronic acid also plays a vital role in healing wounds in our bodies. It’s naturally present in the skin but its concentration increases when there is damage in need of repair. Hyaluronic acid performs this role by regulating inflammation levels and signaling the body to build more blood vessels in the damaged area. By taking an external Supplement, it reduces the size of wounds and decreases pain faster. It also has antibacterial characteristics that can help in reducing the risk of infection when applied directly to open wounds.
- Anti-aging: Hyaluronic acid’s moisture-binding properties are exceptionally important when it comes to skin aging. When we are young, our skin can hold onto water, and retain a balance of moisture, but it loses the ability as we age. The result is a visible loss of firmness, pliability, and a diminished appearance of plumpness and suppleness. Hyaluronic acid can significantly decrease the depth of wrinkles. Hyaluronic acid’s antioxidant and skin-replenishing properties prevent your skin from weakening that is caused by unprotected sun rays exposure.
- Smooth skin texture: When a person experiences changes in their skin, it can have an adverse psychosocial impact. This can occur during the aging process. Study shows that hyaluronic acid can help reduce the roughness of a person’s skin and increase skin elasticity.
- Soothes dry eyes: The eyes contain a high concentration of hyaluronic acid. Therefore, eye drops containing hyaluronic acid can help to treat symptoms of dry eyes. When a combination of a supplement and topical hyaluronic acid is taken, it helps in reducing the symptoms of dry eye in the participants.
- Stretch Marks: Does Hyaluronic Acid Work on Stretch Marks? Hyaluronic acid is known as a potent moisturizer and for its ability to relieve dry and damaged skin. It\’s particularly useful when dealing with new, red stretch marks because it also speeds up wound healing and can help them fade considerably. This is why SkinsideOut Advanced Hyaluronic Acid helps with reducing stretch marks. It works from the inside out. We also recommend pairing it with an external Hyaluronic acid application as well.
Types of hyaluronic acid
There are technically three types of hyaluronic acid molecules that are formulated into skincare products:
- Hydrolyzed hyaluronic acid: This type of hyaluronic acid has molecules that are small enough to penetrate the skin. It works on the surface level.
- Sodium hyaluronate– is a salt form of hyaluronic acid. It has a lower molecular weight that can penetrate the skin more deeply. Sodium hyaluronate is also used in “dermal fillers”, products that are injected into the skin to smooth wrinkles.
- Sodium acetylated hyaluronate– is a derivate of sodium hyaluronate that holds more moisture and is longer lasting.
Side effects of hyaluronic acid
Hyaluronic acid is a natural substance in the skin, and hyaluronic products tend to have a low incidence of side effects and are safe for most people. If you experience side effects while you are using a hyaluronic acid product, discontinue use, and consult a healthcare provider.